★ ★ ★

Autore: Alessandro
92191 Curtiss Hawk II 1:72 scale  

92191 Curtiss Hawk II 1:72 scale  

In 1932, the Curtiss-Wright company tried to break into foreign markets with a fighter plane. At that time, mainly in Latin America, it was competing hard for contracts with the Vought company, but these were Curtiss Falcon and Vought Corsair multi-purpose machines, and since the completion of the three P-6S for Cuba, it has not sold any fighters abroad.

3 decal variants:

  • 1. Curtiss Hawk II, Cuban Air Force
  • 2. Curtiss Hawk II, 1933
  • 3. Curtiss Hawk II, Erst Udet Aircraft, Germany 1935

The basis of the new fighter is a variant of the proven Hawk P-6E, which is currently being delivered to the US Air Force. It took over most of the fuselage structure, a very similar self-supporting landing gear, but with longer legs and side-opening wheel hoods, as well as wings with a wooden frame. But the engine was new, a Wright SR-1820F Cyclone radial nine-cylinder, covered by a narrow Townend-type ring and a front cover equipped with slots. This Hawk II, as it was named, paradoxically almost immediately aroused the interest of the US Navy, which bought the company’s demonstrator a month after its first takeoff in May 1932, assigned it the designation XF11C-2, and almost at the same time ordered a second prototype (XF11C-1) with by the Wright R-1510 two-star engine. The first export Hawk II thus became a fighter-bomber prototype for the US Navy. Export Hawky IIs differed from their brothers built for the Navy, for example, by the absence of a swinging fork, which carried the bomb out of the propeller range during dive bombing, but they could still use a 50-gallon auxiliary tank attached to the fuselage. Of course, they also did not have a grappling hook for landing on the deck of an aircraft carrier and mostly retained the original spur as well, while the production F11Cs had a completely differently positioned sprung wheel. Armament usually varied according to the wishes and possibilities of the customer, so American 7.62 mm, British 7.7 mm or German 7.92 mm machine guns were used. Under the wings there were hangers for four fifty-kilogram bombs, which were mainly used extensively in Latin America.